O God, be Thou exalted over my possessions. Nothing of earth’s treasures shall seem dear unto me if only Thou art glorified in my life. Be Thou exalted over my friendships. I am determined that Thou shalt be above all, though I must stand deserted and alone in the midst of the earth. Be Thou exalted above my comforts. Though it mean the loss of bodily comforts and the carrying of heavy crosses I shall keep my vow made this day before Thee Be Thou exalted over my reputation. Make me ambitious to please Thee even if as a result I must sink into obscurity and my name be forgotten as a dream. Rise, O Lord, into Thy proper place of honor, above my ambitions, above my likes and dislikes, above my family, my health and even my life itself. Let me decrease that Thou mayest increase, let me sink that Thou mayest rise above. Ride forth upon me as Thou didst ride into Jerusalem mounted upon the humble little beast, a colt, the foal of an ass, and let me hear the children cry to Thee, “Hosanna in the highest.
"we love, because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19 Life is hard. But Jesus so fully and completely softens the blow. He provides us with the hope of salvation and eternal life. Through Him we have an eternal perspective. This life is a bad as it’s gonna get. Hallelujah! Heaven is as good as it gets. Hallelujah! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQNczm45GyY
I’ve decided to consciously stop being so hard on people. The first person I’ve decided to stop being hard on is myself.
It has been brought to my attention as of late that my singleness is a lifestyle. Evidently I have made a major lifestyle choice without realizing, but upon my awareness I have come to embrace it. If you can relate to my thoughts and actions then perhaps you too have fallen into this lifestyle without realizing what path you were straying down.
A few key signs that you might unknowingly be living the single lifestyle (aka spinsterhood). [Please note, spinsterhood is a gender neutral term so men are not immune, but I am primarily an expert in female spinsterhood]
1. Whenever the concept of a ‘cat lady’ comes up in conversation you do not deny this impending doom, rather your thoughts wander to something along the lines of, “but I’m more of a dog person…”
2. You have a few hours to kill. You…
A. Watch Pride & Prejudice
B. Read Pride & Prejudice
D. A & C
If you answered any of the above, you may be living the single lifestyle.
3. It’s Friday night, you are…
B. En route to your home.
C. Thinking of a valid excuse to give one of the few people who asked you to hang out so that you can hang out at home.
4. You ‘hate the bar scene’… in other words you aren’t really satisfied unless you are in the comfort of your own home.
5. People consider you crafty. Pinterest is like porn. Yeah, I said it.
These are just a few symptoms of the ‘single lifestyle’. This is just the beginning dear friends- know that you are not alone. Well, that’s not entirely true. If this indeed is the lifestyle for you, then the whole point is that you are alone. Oops.
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.
My newest life ambition is to inform the world that there is more to opera than phantom of the opera.
A common theme that seems to be popping up quite often in my life is the idea of being satisfied. (actually, more like the idea of never being satisfied) This summer my hair was long, so of course I wanted short hair, now I have spurts of wanting it to be long once again. Last spring all I wanted was for it to be summer. Then, during the summer I just could not wait for school to start up again. Now I’m all… wahoo, I graduate in December. vicious. cycle.
It just seems like, I keep on striving. Keep on seeking all these events to make me feel… something.
Well, here is the conclusion I’ve come to. (Well, it’s a process anyway…)
Sometimes I just need to take a moment when I am in a truly wonderful and enjoyable moment and think to myself- ah, THIS is what life is about. Like when I am laughing about truly ridiculous things with some wonderful friends. Or when a person puts enough trust in you to be real with you. Or when you take a moment to acknowledge how very loved you are.
I have come to realize that the Lord was teaching me something big this summer and that is this - fellowship, and people are super important. I think I was being isolated in a lot of ways and just kind of shutting off from people over the past few months. Definitely believing a lot of lies and trusting in that reality, which was not reality at all.
Well, here I am. On the other side of that little lesson and feeling super blessed for some clarity. I really hope that I can learn from these things and continue taking steps forward rather than moving backward in any way.
Many a ponder. oh so many.
So, I decided to make myself a little bucket list. My goal was to think of 30 things that I hope to accomplish by the time I’m 30. That gives me almost 10 years, but I hope they happen. Also, I’m taking suggestions on the last 2. Wish me luck!
1. Run a half marathon. Every year.
2. Compete in a food eating competition.
3. Go to Europe again. Preferably at age 24. Preferably in back-packing fashion.
4. See a musical on Broadway.
5. Witness a flash mob.
6. Go on a US Roadtrip.
7. Go salmon fishing in Alaska.
8. Pray everyday. (preferably get down on your knees and do it)
9. Ride a segway.
10. Take a ghost/haunted something tour.
11. Take classes to learn another language.
12. Take a class to learn something artsy: flowers, quilting, dancing
13. Go on a cave tour. A legit one that has you crawling and whatnot.
14. Try to surf.
15. Drink a cup of coffee at the original Starbucks.
16. Learn to make sushi.
17. Make a latte worthy of Starbucks.
18. Weld something great.
19. Stay out of debt.
21. Go on some kind of mission trip/project every year. Even if it is located in the place you live.
22. Witness an engagement.
23. See some whales!
24. Learn to play a song on your guitar. (well)
25. Graduate from college!
26. See an Opera at the Met Opera.
27. Learn to sail.
28. Go to Disneyworld. Go to the Harry Potter park.